The Bug

Wow. So it’s been a few weeks since I’ve written anything, and here’s why. The stomach bug made its way over to our house and it refused to go away. I tell you…in the last 8 or 9 months, we’ve had more tummy trouble in this house! Be gone, stomach bug!

We’ve now all been well for about 6 days, and surely, SURELY we are past this. Cason was the first to go a couple of weeks ago. He was tough and independent. He’s 4, and he didn’t even come get me when he was sick at 4:30am. I just happened to notice a light was on in the bathroom and got up to check. He just walked himself to the bathroom, turned the light on, and puked in the trashcan. I was amazed. Thank you, sweet boy. We had ourselves a very early morning cartoon-watching party…I wasn’t sure if it was random or a bug at this point, but sure enough he threw up again a couple hours later. I washed his sheets later that morning and lysoled his room, but overall the clean up was easy. He did throw up a few more times, but it wasn’t too bad.

Enter Kinsley with the bug. About 2 days after Cason was sick, Kinsley was crying in bed at 3:30 in the morning. She usually goes back to sleep fairly quickly but not this time. I finally told Josh I was going in to check on her and sure enough…it was all over her and her bed. Yuck. So what did I do? I went to get Josh so he could help me clean it all up. Actually, Kinsley only wanted me to hold her, so Mr. Dad did the dirty work….he stripped the sheets, started the laundry, and re-made her bed. After about 45 minutes I ended up putting her back down (thinking she’d be up within an hour) and she lasted til about 6:30am. Apparently she had thrown up a few times but gone back to sleep. Poor baby. So we did more laundry, gave that gal a bath, and disinfected/wiped down all of her room, of course. She only threw up once more, but she was far from herself all day.



I was tired and running on limited amounts of sleep after she and Cason both got sick in the night. It was a long day. She wanted to be held most of the day, which in some ways is nothing but sweet, but in many other ways, is very challenging when you have other demanding sweet kids that need you. She totaled 5 crackers on the food intake and took a few sips of water, and as many of you know, we don’t need her to be losing any weight. Of course, that 18 month check up is coming up at the end of the month, so we’ll see how much Baby Girl has put on. Or not.

Almost 3 days later, this happened.



IMG_3401  IMG_3403


And this guy…well, he’s the most needy of all when he’s not feeling well. And this happened at 9pm….so we had ourselves a dandy living room camp out that night. He threw up quite a bit more than Cason or Kinsley had. I felt so bad for the guy. I think we all super hate to throw up, but there are those people who extra hate it and aren’t very good at handling it. He’s one of them. Sweet Pax. His little body is out of control when he’s spewing chunks. He refuses to aim for the trashcan and often would tilt his head up instead of down as he’s throwing up. Not kidding. It’s a pure disaster. I almost wish I could have filmed it. Josh and I both stayed up with him for a little while and it took both of us to hold on to him when he got sick. Josh eventually went to bed and Pax and I had a sicky sleepover together. Or more like a lock-in. It was rivoting. He would doze on the floor on his pile of blankets and towels between pukes, then sit by me while we found something on Netflix. He just could not get comfortable…on the floor, on the couch, or in my lap. Finally at 4:30am I went to get Josh. I needed at least an hour or two of sleep if I was gonna make it through the day. So I handed the sleepover baton to him for a little while.

Finally I got up from my sweet-action nap to take on the day, and almost immediately Josh asked if it was ok that he go lay back down for a bit before work.  I was feeling so jolly about it all.


He said something about his stomach not feeling right. Oh, fantastic. You go right ahead. I’ll just be here taking care of everyone else and making sure Paxton doesn’t puke on his brother or sister. Josh eventually got up, showered, and went to work. A few hours later he was home and on the couch. For the rest of the day. He actually never threw up, but he had some other bathroom issues. Thankfully, it was our ONE free night of the week, so at least we didn’t have to be anywhere. After a lot of rest and a good night’s sleep, he felt better the next day. We were all ok for a whole day. Maybe, just maybe I wasn’t going to get it.


And it hit me worse than anyone. The next morning about 7 am, I had to use the restroom. And I will tell you (and I’m not exaggerating), I had to go to the bathroom every 10-15 minutes for about 11 hours. I threw up once in the middle of the day, too, but mostly it was the other stuff. It would not stop. I have no idea how I even had anything else in me to keep going all day long. I still can’t believe it. I was lightheaded every time I got up. And the worst part about it was that Josh couldn’t find anyone to take over for various things he was doing that day, so I had my kids all to my sick self for two different parts of the day. It was quite possibly one of the most miserable days I’ve had. It was totally a scene out of a sitcom. That’s what I was thinking, anyway, as I’m doubled over the toilet and Paxton is yelling at me, through the crack at the bottom of the bathroom door no less, that he wants crackers. It was all I could do to say, “Hold on a second, buddy. Mama isn’t feeling well.” And he just kept yelling, “My want crackers! My want craaaaaackerrrrrrs!!!”  It was fantastically awful. Josh was gone at dinner, and I managed to make them some mac n cheese and had a neighbor run over some PBJs which was really nice. I started feeling slightly better at 6pm, which was also when I crawled back in bed after Josh got home. Whoa. What a day.

Actually, what a week and a half our family had. Wowzers.

I’m so very thankful we’re all feeling much better. We had a good weekend. It rained some, but overall the weather was nice and we got outside, went on walks, and I even sat outside and read during naptime Sunday. My house was is full of dirty laundry and dishes, but I needed just a small bit of stillness. And coffee and muffins to go along with my book.


My peaceful reading spot

We also hit up the local froyo shop for some much needed family fun.

We also hit up the local froyo shop for some much needed family fun.

Yesterday was a good day, too, though I’m thoroughly overwhelmed with the post-stomach-bug look that my house has taken on. I’m working on catching up on laundry and getting the dishes under control and just cleaning the place up. We’ve gone through a lot of lysol, that’s for sure. But I just can’t get enough of the less-mosquito-filled fall weather, so I put Baby Girl (who’s now fighting a cold and bad diaper rash) to bed lastnight, and the rest of us enjoyed some s’mores. Delicous!





Here’s to a healthier McCarty house! Have a blessed day!

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s